giovedì 22 novembre 2007

New features for new OSes (part 1)

I'm quite satisfied by Ubuntu, Gnome and Compiz fusion, but I still have some ideas on how I would like to improve my user experience in the daily use of my computers. None of theme is dramatically new, as I heard that soon (maybe on Vista SP1) Microsoft is going to introduce WinFS on Windows, and Gnome is working on Gnome Storage. The point is that unlike user interfaces, which have evolved a lot in their metaphors, file systems are organized mostly the same way they were years ago. Actually they offer more functionality and performance, but from the user point of view the disks are always “folders” and “files”, both for documents, user data, configurations, applications.
I'd like to organize the disk differently, to gain in usability and in system stability.
Also, modern systems have self healing and self updating capabilities that could be improved with a different disk management, something able to discern between system data, programs and user documents. What could we obtain by combining a file system, a database, an intelligent system (maybe with the ability to track what the users do and adapt to their needs) and new application development techniques based on the security of virtual machines?

Nessun commento: