giovedì 1 novembre 2007

Enhancements on new OSes

I've been writing various times now about the new user interfaces provided by the major Oses (Mac OS X, Linux with Compiz fusion, Vista with Aero) and I've discussed about the increased productivity made possible by these systems: they look so nice and they are so amazing that working in their environments becomes a pleasure. Still, apart from the UI there are still fields in which these systems could be improved. I have a working machine with many services and applications loaded at start up time, because I have different open projects and I need to work on different development environments (different db servers, different http servers, lot of utilities such as monitors, bluetooth and whatever); I'd like to collect some statistic about the use of the components loaded on my system, such as the shared libraries, services an so on. I want to make the system learn “how much time after my login am I using this?”, and I'd like to delay the load of some components so that the bootstrap and login gets faster; actually I am going to try something in linux: I know that right after the logon I am usually going to load the web browser and read my webmail, and just after some minutes I am going to start my IDE and database server. Also, I would like to delay the start of my desktop gadgets so that the boot + login + start browser operations gets faster, and just after about 2 minutes I want the system to load all the other stuff. I think the next step in the development of operating systems (at least the user oriented set ups, not the servers) will be the introduction of intelligent agents that monitors what the user usually do and try to “get him there quicker”.

I think Vista has something like this, but actually I haven't tried it yet, but I hope Linux will move toward this direction.

Nessun commento: