lunedì 4 dicembre 2006

Useful system tracing

I'm very impressed about how modern system such as Linux and win, and even applications as anti-virus et similia are able to auto-update; this is a great feature for users, but I'm thinking of a way to improve this. In my applications, I'm using some AOP to trace module usage, both for profiling and for getting an automatic "user feedback". I'm thinking about a system to trace unused features, so that the system can be able to uninstall modules to free disk space, and to improve start-up performance; and what if a similar method could be used by the operating system to trace the usage of the installed software? Win is doing something like this, and from the control panel you can get informations about the amount of usage of each application, but if we could extend this tracing to all the components of a system, we could get informations usable to configure a system which include all and only the components we are using!
In my case, I have a Linux system always connected to the Internet via a ADSL connection: I'd like to uninstall unused features without effort, as easily as I install the modules that I need; I will always be able to reinstall them, if I need. I think we shall expect something like "intelligent auto-configuration" soon...

Nessun commento: